Tax Court of Canada
The Tax Court Assistance Program (TCAP) is run through SLA and focuses exclusively on tax matters. TCAP offers tax dispute resolution, which can range from helping clients appeal reassessments by the CRA, to representing clients at the Informal Procedure of the Tax Court of Canada. Those working on TCAP can also help clients with audits and taxpayer relief applications.
For student’s interested in TCAP, it is an excellent way to get exposure representing clients in a federal court, gain invaluable trial preparation experience, help people in an area of law many find particularly daunting, and learn some useful things about tax law and how it is applied in the real world.
The faculty members responsible for TCAP are Saul Templeton and Catherine Brown. TCAP’s advising lawyers for 2017/2018 are Lisa Handfield, Lori Bokenfohr, Dan Morrison, Lauchlin MacEachern and Monica Cheng.
The student lead of TCAP is Kyle McMillan, who is in his final year of the combined JD-MBA program at the University of Calgary. Last summer, Kyle worked on campus as a summer student at the BLG Business Venture Clinic. Prior to coming to Calgary ten years ago to work as a geologist, Kyle grew up in Winnipeg.
This year’s TCAP students are:
- Alexander Brooker firstname.lastname@example.org – 3L
- Marija Giljanovic email@example.com – 3L,
- Taylor Grantham firstname.lastname@example.org; 2L
- Abbey Lynne Kind email@example.com; 1L
- David Huu Tri Nguyen firstname.lastname@example.org; 2L
- Natalie Nolan email@example.com:3L
- Colin Patterson firstname.lastname@example.org; 2L
- Braeden Reynolds email@example.com; 2L
- Sydney Thomson firstname.lastname@example.org; 2L
- John Jiang email@example.com; 1L
- Vanessa Marie Zuchetto firstname.lastname@example.org; 3L
- Anand Soma email@example.com; 3L
- Nicola Nielsen firstname.lastname@example.org; 3L