M-F 9AM - 4:30PM

Landlord / Tenant Matters

Do you have a landlord and tenant legal issue? SLA may be able to help you with the following matters:

  • Return of a security deposit 

  • Fundamental breach of a tenancy agreement 

  • Eviction 

  • Roommate disputes

Two Possible Starting Points:


Provincial Court. Click here for information from Alberta Justice’s website about filing an application at Provincial Court.


Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolutions Service. The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service offers landlords and tenants an alternative to arguing their dispute in court. Using RTDRS may allow you to resolve your dispute more quickly and less expensively than filing an application at Provincial Court.

To use this service, you must complete the RTDRS application form. The RTDRS will file their application and set a date and time for the hearing to take place. The matter will be heard before a Tenancy Dispute Officer who is authorized to make binding decisions on claims up to $50,000. The decision of the Tenancy Dispute Officer is binding on all parties. 

Both landlords and tenants may file an application with the RTDRS for different remedies. For an overview of the RTDRS process, click here. 

Student Legal Assistance operates year round. However, please note that Caseworkers are unavailable and cannot make Court appearances on their client’s behalf during winter and spring examination periods.